Ukrani & Co., collects, holds and uses personal information only for the purposes for which it has been provided, relevant to a matter and or as required by law. Our key purpose is to benefit the client and any handling of information is only to the degree necessary to providing the relevant service.
This policy does not cover information that is free to the world at large, referring to information that is publicly available.
- What is “personal information”?
- The Privacy Act currently defines “personal information” as meaning information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
- What information do we collect?
We collect your personal information directly from you during the course of providing legal services to you, or from another legal party that involves you. Information may also be collected from sources such as your employer or colleagues, government registers, and online publications. We may use, hold and disclose your Personal Information.
The personal information which We collect and hold about you may include:
- Information about your dealings with us or our clients;
- Name, address, job title, personal/business address, telephone/mobile numbers, professional membership, and email address;
- If you are a client or potential client, information about your organisation and your role, information on other employees and management in your organisation, payment information and information about your legal matters;
- Interests in areas of legal practice or events;
- Information provided by or on behalf of applicants for employment.
Sensitive information may also be collected when necessary in individual circumstances. “Sensitive Information” is defined in the Privacy Act.
- Your Race and ethnicity;
- Political opinions;
- Personal and religious beliefs.
“Health Information” is personal information that comprises facts and opinions regarding: health, disability, an individual’s expressed wishes about health services provision to themselves, health services rendered or about to be rendered to them as well as information associated with organ donation or the intention of organ donation.
- Blood Type;
- Past Medical Procedures undergone;
- Future Procedures scheduled or required;
- Physical or mental conditions.
- How we collect your personal information?
- Purpose of collection
The purpose for which we collect personal information is to provide you with the best service experience possible on the website. Some examples include:
- To provide our legal services and communicate with you directly regarding our services;
- To provide you with legal news, events, and seminars;
- To manage and improve our client services and recruitment;
- For maintenance and support personnel acting in the normal course of their duties who assist us in operating the website.
- Use and disclosure
Ukrani & Co., will not use or disclose the information it collects for any purpose other than the primary purpose for its collection without consent, unless the following applies:
- The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose and if the information is sensitive, it must be directly related to the primary purpose, and the individual whom this information belongs to has consented or would have reasonably expected Ukrani & Co., to use or disclose for the secondary purpose.
- Where Ukrani & Co., reasonably believes the information is necessary to lessen or prevent either one or both of the following:
- A serious threat to an individual’s life, safety or health;
- or a serious threat to public health or safety.
- Where a court order, law or tribunal order applies.
Ukrani & Co., may use or disclose Health Information not relevant to the primary or secondary purpose when it is necessary for research, compilation, or analysis of statistics relevant to public health or safety:
- When it is impracticable for Ukrani & Co., to seek individual consent before the use or disclosure, and
- Where the use or disclosure is in accordance and abides by the guidelines approved by the Commissioner under s95A of the Privacy Act for the purposes of that subparagraph; and
- In the case of disclosure, Ukrani & Co., reasonably believes that the recipient of the health information will not disclose the health information, or personal information derived from the health information.
By engaging Ukrani & Co., clients consent to the sharing, use and disclosure by us of information where this is necessary and reasonable in representing them, rendering effective service or provision of advice. Examples of this include:
- Courts and tribunals;
- Government agencies;
- Other persons with whom our clients have had previous or are looking for prospective dealings with;
- Our services providers e.g., valuers, agents, contractors or archivists.
- Safety, Security and Storage
Ukrani & Co., will take all steps reasonable in protecting information it holds from misuse, interference, loss, modification, unauthorised modification, or disclosure. Such steps include:
- Ensuring the reasonable security of our premises;
- Confidentiality guidelines and procedures within our office(s);
- Use of necessary IT security programs, firewalls, and monitoring.
Subject to any legal requirements, Ukrani & Co., will from time to time take steps as reasonable to destroy or de-identify any information which is no longer needed for any purpose listed within this policy.
- Access and correction
Australian Privacy Principle 12 permits you to obtain access to the personal information we hold about you. If we refuse access, we will provide you with a written notice which sets out the reasons for the refusal and how you can complain about our refusal. We may recover our reasonable costs for giving access to your personal information.
Australian Privacy Principle 13 allows you to correct inaccurate personal information subject to certain exceptions. If you would like to obtain such access, please contact us as set out below. We will not charge you for making a correction request, for correcting your information or for associating a statement with your information. Where we believe we hold inaccurate information we will take reasonable steps to correct that information.
Ukrani & Co., will endeavour to provide access to individuals to their information stored by the firm and allow opportunities for correction unless one or more of the following applies:
- where we are required by law, court or tribunal order to refrain from providing such access or correction;
- where there is a reasonably held belief by Ukrani & Co., that provision of access or correction opportunity will pose or result in a serious threat to life, health or safety of any individual or to the public;
- the request for access or correction is vexatious;
- where provision of access or correction will result in an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of any other individual(s);
- Where it would prejudice the rights belonging to another party;
- Where it would be a breach of client privilege, client confidentiality or other fiduciary obligation;
- If a correction is requested that would result in the record being incorrect, misleading, or likely to result in a less accurate record.
- Complaint procedure
If you have a complaint concerning the way we maintain the privacy of your personal information, please contact us as set out below. If we agree that your complaint is well founded, we will, in consultation with you, take appropriate steps to rectify the problem. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or via email at email@example.com
There is no obligation to disclose Information of any kind to Ukrani & Co., however this may cause us to be unable to provide to you our services or render the necessary degree of assistance required.
By visiting our website, utilising our services, or engaging with us, you agree to information being handled in the manner listed in this policy and where appropriate, as set out in any client agreement. Amendments may be carried out from time to time, individuals agree comprehensively to the terms listed in this policy at the relevant time of engagement with Ukrani & Co., its employees, services, or website.
- How to contact us about privacy
If you have any queries, or if you seek access to your personal information, you can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.